postgis2 trying to set install permissions, right fix?

I am updating postgresql-postgis2 from 2.1.4 to 2.1.7.  The package
builds and tests fine as root.  As me, it fails because
doc/Makefile.comments inherits an install target from the
postgresql-provided Makefils.pgxs which calls install with -u root, more
or less.

So, the question is the best way to fix it.   My understanding after
reading a bit (perhaps too quickly) is:

  pkgsrc doesn't use the install METALOG feature at all (I had the
  impression it provided an install wrapper that did this, but I seem to
  have made that up).

  Files in packages are owned by root (eventually), and absent
  SPECIAL_PERMS the ownership doesn't matter .

  One defines SPECIAL_PERMS in the pkg Makefile for files that need to
  be other than non-writable, executable-or-not, and root owned.

  The way to fix makefiles is to tell them not to set owner/group at
  install time.

So therefore I probably should be patching postgresqlXX-client to drop
the -u -g from pgxs.mk, or perhaps to make postgis not use pgxs.mk.

Does that all sound right?