Re: pulseaudio lossage

Greg Troxel wrote:

> Adam Hoka <adam.hoka%gmail.com@localhost> writes:
>
> >> This is arguably an upstream bug, but as the PR notes, pulseaudio is
> >> dragged in by a lot of things.
> >
> > No, its a pkgsrc/gcc bug.
>
> ok - that's quite nonobvious from the build output

It took much time to figure out, but only a bit after I sent you my last mail
I have found the cause of the problem:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/130740/link-error-when-compiling-gcc-atomic-operation-in-32-bit-mode

> >> I am not clear on how necessary pulseaudio is.  Is this yet another
> >> sound server which is a reasonable choice, or is it the new GNOME way
> >> and it's bad not to have it.
> >
> > The latter.
>
> I suspected..
>
> >> Pending a fix to pulseaudio to build on NetBSD 4, I propose removing
> >> pulseaudio from PKG_SUGGESTED_OPTIONS everywhere it appears and causes
> >> me grief, and putting it back unconditionally only when pulseaudio can
> >> be built on all supported pkgsrc platforms.  Objections?
> >
> > I would like to see bugs fixed instead of hidden. :-)
>
> I am not proposing to make devel/pulseaudio hide anything - just to have
> other software have default dependencies only on things that actually
> build.  That's no worse than pre the pulseaudio import.

I understand.

> Thanks for the patch - I'll try it.  It's certainly far better if the
> pulseaudio package can just be fixed.  But if it's not fixed soon, I
> think we need to remove the options to the quarterly branch isn't
> massively broken on the current release of NetBSD.

All right, let's see if we can fix it fast (I think of multiple solutions.).

--
When in doubt, use brute force.

Adam Hoka <ahoka%NetBSD.org@localhost>
Adam Hoka <ahoka%MirBSD.de@localhost>