Re: CONFLICTS variable is terrible

 >> 2) I didn't claim CONFLICTS can always be detected automatically.
 >>    I wrote a tool for detecting conflicts in PLISTs only.

> How to decide before I waste time downloading a package and its many
> dependencies and begin extracting / installing all of them to later find
> somewhere in that process that there is a conflict?
AFAIU +CONTENTS file is at the very beginning of tarball.
So, this checks may be done as soon as downloading starts.

> I agree we should work at fixing packages so they can install at same time
> (like "git").
Good news.

> But I still don't understand the value of getting rid of a CONFLICTS
> variable. (I read all your emails about this I think.)
1) An information about common file names is already present in binary
   itself.  This is a list of files to be installed. As it was noted before
   this is true if conflicting files are not created at
   postinstallation stage. Not a big problem I think.
2) As it was shown it is almost impossible to keep CONFLICTS up-to-date.
   There are hundreds of unregistered conflicts in pkgsrc packages.
   And checks for such conflicts was not automated during 11 years.
   (This is just the fact which doesn't blame anybody!)

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.