Re: open issue of *OWN/*GRP variables and installation to DESTDIR

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 11:32:33AM +0100, Klaus Heinz wrote:
> If all the packages used SPECIAL_PERMS/REQD_FILES_PERMS we would not
> have to redefine the variables but could use them just as they were
> meant to be used: define the ownership to be used at runtime.

Using it for the files we *do* expect to have non-default ownership is
fine. That's why I questioned whether we need hundred different
variables. What still has to be done is fixing the owner/groups used by
the Makefiles and that's what using the unprivileged code tries to do.

> Another way to use ownership information is for configuration of the
> package.

Packages just using symbolic names are harmless, they will just work.
Problems with hard-coded uids are problematic. For those the override
can't be done of course. I just suggested overriding the default user
(root), not the others.

> So, shouldn't it be sufficient to sweep through pkgsrc and convert all
> uses of chown/chmod/chgrp to SPECIAL_PERMS? What am I missing?

You have to touch the Makefiles in the packages :-)

Joerg