Re: open issue of *OWN/*GRP variables and installation to DESTDIR

On 09/01/2008, at 11:32, Klaus Heinz wrote:

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

I would do it the very same way for all the user variables. The question remains if we really need 100 different user variables which essentially
ends up as the same user in the end.
[...]
Another way to use ownership information is for configuration of the
package (eg, as which user a daemon should run) and this information
gets either put into configuration files (Apache httpd.conf) or
hard-coded into the binary programs (qmail), so this can be done without
a problem as an unpriviledged user.

So, shouldn't it be sufficient to sweep through pkgsrc and convert all
uses of chown/chmod/chgrp to SPECIAL_PERMS? What am I missing?

Wouldn't that be a maintenance nightmare? How do you deal with packages that call chown et al. from their Makefiles (not the pkgsrc ones)?

I'm joining this discussion late and I don't know if this has already been mentioned. But why not have chown/chgrp wrappers that capture special permissions and automatically add the necessary bits to the tarballs? (Much like the METALOG used in the base system.)

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmerino%ac.upc.edu@localhost>