Re: lib/42405: libc: getaddrinfo() should perform T_A lookups before T_AAAA lookups, was: Resolver problems

At Sat, 5 Dec 2009 13:32:50 +0100, Michael van Elst
<mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: lib/42405: libc: getaddrinfo() should perform T_A lookups  before
T_AAAA lookups, was: Resolver problems

> On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 12:43:54PM +0100, Ingolf Steinbach wrote:
>
> > According to POSIX, getaddrinfo() "shall return a set of socket
> > addresses and associated information to be used in creating a socket
> > with which to address the specified service." What is the use of
> > delivering socket addresses which will certainly fail later when used
> > as intended by this specification?
>
> You don't know how the adresses are used and, at the time of the
> getaddrinfo() call,

The system actually does know how they CANNOT be used though.

> > b) avoid run-time errors by having getaddrinfo() deliver only v4
> > addresses on systems which do not support v6 (unless, of course, the
> > user explicitly requests v6 addresses)
>
> See my answer to kre, that dependency isn't necessarily valid and

I can't find your answer to kre in this thread (though that may be
because this thread is crossing lists without consistently doing so).

I don't agree either -- the dependency _is_ valid.  (remember we're
discussing the _default_ behaviour, not an explicit search for an
address related to a given family)

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.