tech-multimedia archive

Re: Problems (panics) with using my uvideo... Help please..

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 02:17:45PM +0100, Jeremy Morse wrote:
> USB_DEBUG should help - you should also enable UHCI_DEBUG. In the
> meantime I'll work out what that "overflow!" message indicates.
>
> You've mentioned this panic occurs when you're using mplayer - does it
> fault immediately when you start mplayer, some time in the middle or
> when mplayer stops?

Directly after 'starting playback'.

> Also attached is a workaround patch for ehci which stops NMIs from
> being raised on my system, it'd be great if you could test this too.

Heh, funny enough it talks about 768 frames (64 * 12) but the NMI still
gets raised. Ok... what I did: I patched my sys/dev/usb/ehci.c; I rebuilt
and moved over a new kernel (GENERIC.UVD) which looks like this now:
(some device diff cut out, no context)

-#ident                 "GENERIC-$Revision: 1.914 $"
+#ident                 "GENERIC-$Revision: 1.910 $"
-#options       DIAGNOSTIC      # expensive kernel consistency checks
-#options       DEBUG           # expensive debugging checks/support
+options        DIAGNOSTIC      # expensive kernel consistency checks
+options        DEBUG           # expensive debugging checks/support
-#makeoptions   DEBUG="-g"      # compile full symbol table
+makeoptions    DEBUG="-g"      # compile full symbol table
+
+options        UVIDEO_DEBUG
+options        USB_DEBUG
+options        UHCI_DEBUG
+options        EHCI_DEBUG

I tried these four things:

- boot generic.uvd      -> crash (-8)
- boot generic.uvd -c   -> 1st attempt works (?), then crash (-9)
- boot generic.uvd -1   -> crash (-A)
- boot generic.uvd -1c  -> 1st attempt works (?), then crash (-B)

I was surprised to see situation improved on the uhci side, well, somewhat,
by the ehci patch? I also cvs updated before building, who knows.. and ehci
claims to hand over the video to uhci this way or another??

supplied stuff this time:

http://ayaken.net/dmesg-9
http://ayaken.net/crash-8-bt.jpg
http://ayaken.net/crash-8-dmesg1.jpg
http://ayaken.net/crash-8-dmesg2.jpg
http://ayaken.net/attempt9.jpg
http://ayaken.net/crash-9-bt1.jpg
http://ayaken.net/crash-9-bt2.jpg
http://ayaken.net/crash-9-dmesg1.jpg
http://ayaken.net/crash-9-dmesg2.jpg
http://ayaken.net/crash-A-bt.jpg
http://ayaken.net/crash-A-dmesg.jpg
http://ayaken.net/attemptB.jpg
http://ayaken.net/crash-B-bt.jpg
http://ayaken.net/crash-B-dmesg1.jpg
http://ayaken.net/crash-B-dmesg2.jpg

The 'attempt' photos are me being baffled by the 1st attempt working so I
had to shoot a pic as proof :) Although the output might indicate it didn't
work at all. These two attempts (9 and B) also have different dmesg parts,
of course.

 * phew *

Enough crashin for today I believe.

Regards,