tech-misc archive

re: why not have rcvars for all rc.d scripts? -- and downinterfaces and bootconf.sh not complete rc.d scripts

   Many of the ones you list have other controls that are functionally
   equivalent; for example, a missing sysctl.conf effectively disables
   sysctl.  (I am not defending the current paradigm, just trying to
   describe it; in fact, I rather dislike the way it pushes configuration
   information out into a bunch of little files instead of keeping it in
   rc.conf - the aspect of that that bothers me most, personally, is
   network interface configuration.)

you can put a lot of network config (at least what i use) in rc.conf.
eg, i either have dhclient=YES or ifconfig_<int>="..." and
defaultroute=a.b.c.d.  that works mostly for me.

.mrg.