Re: 9.1 install comments

>>  Your configuration requires the NetBSD bootselect code to select which
>>  operating system to use.
>>
>>  It is not currently installed, do you want to install it now?

> This does not happen for me in a regular path through the installer,

Did you wipe the beginning of the disk?  I wiped the first 64M, though
I didn't wipe more than that, and, in particular, did not wipe any
other part of the drive (like the end).

I'll try scrubbing a whole drive and see if I get the same symptom with
that drive.  It'll take a little while, though, and I'll use a
different drive in case there's something important at some unexpected
location on this one.

>> The first time around, my reaction was "I don't believe it; there is
>> no other OS on the disk, nor will there be (on this disk), so I
>> don't need bootsel" and told it no.  The resulting disk was not
>> bootable;
> It would be interesting to know why exactly that did not work.

I'll see if I can reproduce it.  If so, I can send you the beginning of
the resulting drive.  Or is that not what you meant?

>> Command: /sbin/mount -rt cd9660 /dev/cd0a /mnt2
> What kind of device is cd0 ?

An LG device, marked "CD-R/RW DRIVE" and "MODEL:GCE-8240B", connected
via good old 40-pin IDE (with an 80-pin cable):

[   1.1294608] viaide0 at pci0 dev 6 function 0: NVIDIA MCP67 IDE Controller (rev. 0xa1)
[   1.1294608] viaide0: primary channel interrupting at ioapic0 pin 14
[   1.1294608] atabus0 at viaide0 channel 0
[   2.6038268] atapibus0 at atabus0: 2 targets
[   2.7539144] cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8240B, , 1.07> cdrom removable

I can quote more of the dmesg if it would help; I'm just trying to
avoid flooding you with haystacks you have to search for needles in.

> For me it did not even try to mount and all worked fine.  There is
> some ioctl magic checking for a medium in the cd drive, maybe
> something went wrong there (and I'll have to test in a debug setup
> how it would react to that kind of failure)

I'm not sure whether I could help with that.  Does the install kernel
have ktrace support in it?  If so, is there some way to drop to a
shell, so I could start ktracing (to a second disk, if necessary)?
It's sounding as though this might be related to the particular
hardware I'm using, one way or another.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign