Re: 9.1 install comments

>> Is there somewhere appropriate for the whole list, or should I
>> generate one PR per issue, or what?  Maybe should I just list them
>> here so people can suggest which ones could usefully go together?

> Please just bring them up here, then we can see if some of the issues
> would better have a PR opened.

Four of them are issues with INSTALL.more:

     The source sets are distributed as compressed tar files.
     Except for the pkgsrc set, which is traditionally unpacked
     into /usr/pkgsrc, all sets may be unpacked into /usr/src
     with the command:

There is no pkgsrc set as far as I can tell; it certainly isn't
mentioned in the list of source sets and I don't see it in either the
amd64/ or source/ directory.

     Matthias' technical contributions are too many to list here
[...]
     was especially active in keeping some of our most weired
     ancient VME architectures in shape.

"weired"?

     The amd64 binary distribution sets are distributed as
     gzipped tar files named with the extension .tar.xz (e.g.,
     base.tar.xz).

Are they gzipped or xzed?

         If installing via USB, you must first uncompress the USB
         image, which is gzipped.
               $ gunzip NetBSD-9.1-amd64-install.img.gz

Where is this to be found?  As an install image, I would expect it to
be in amd64/installation/, but I see it nowhere, in neither amd64/ nor
source/.  What did I miss?

The others are issues I had when running sysinst.  If anyone wants more
details on any of these, I can redo the install easily enough.

- I was operating on serial, and it didn't recognize mterm as a
   terminal type.  8.0 recognized mterm; was it unreasonable of me to
   expect 9.1 to?

- I was trying to use MBR partitioning, because the goal was to add 9.1
   to an already-MBR disk, as another option in mbr_bootsel, but I was
   installing on a scratch drive because I didn't trust sysinst to do
   what I wanted it to.  Turned out I was right: I tried to specify
   start=8, but sysinst wouldn't let me; it overrode that to 2048(!)
   silently(!!).

- I couldn't even _try_ to get the sets from the install CD, because it
   refused to mount the silly thing.

- When asking for a DNS server while configuring the network, it seemed
   to think I was part of Google; all the offered hosts were Google
   hosts.  (It also suggested them by name, which leads directly to a
   chicken-and-egg issue.)

- When transferring the sets from my house NFS server, it appears to
   have drunk the *iB koolaid.

- The timezone selection menus appear to be completely unusable without
   arrow keys.  This really should be fixed, especially for serial-line
   use.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign