Re: 9.1 install comments

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 09:42:17AM -0400, Mouse wrote:
>  Your configuration requires the NetBSD bootselect code to select which
>  operating system to use.
>
>  It is not currently installed, do you want to install it now?

This does not happen for me in a regular path through the installer, though
I can see how it could happen if you use a pre-existing MBR. You won't
believe through how many hoops the code jumps to detect totaly stupid things
like old bootsectors that do not support LBA addressing and NetBSD partitions
outside bootable range. Somewhere in there something goes wrong, your
NetBSD partition is named and your old boot code did not have bootselector
support - so it asks.

> The first time around, my reaction was "I don't believe it; there is no
> other OS on the disk, nor will there be (on this disk), so I don't need
> bootsel" and told it no.  The resulting disk was not bootable;

It would be interesting to know why exactly that did not work.

> >> Can you describe this more detailed?
> > I'll have to redo the install, [...]
>
> Okay.  I saw the same symptom again.  My transcript says I picked the
> sets to install (which was "all of them", though I did it via the
> custom interface rather than picking "full installation").  I picked
> "CD-ROM / DVD / install image media" as the source of the sets.  I got
> a display showing me
>
> Command: /sbin/mount -rt cd9660 /dev/cd0a /mnt2

What kind of device is cd0 ?
For me it did not even try to mount and all worked fine. There is some ioctl
magic checking for a medium in the cd drive, maybe something went wrong there
(and I'll have to test in a debug setup how it would react to that kind of
failure)

Martin