Re: Bountysource campaign for gcc-vax

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 at 20:58, Maciej W. Rozycki <macro%linux-mips.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Dec 2020, David Brownlee wrote:
>
> > Just an idle question - at some point in the future might you be
> > interested in another bounty in a similar area? :-p :-p :-p
>
>  Well, it's not the bounty, it's the satisfaction!  Anyway, do you have
> anything specific in mind?

I don't know about others, but there are quite a few NetBSD related
improvements towards which I would be happy to contribute a bounty,
ranging from very VAX specific to more generic. It would depend on
your areas of interest :)

- If it includes anything VAX, then maybe investigating why modern
NetBSD/vax binaries are much slower than on older releases (even
ignoring higher memory usage). I strongly suspect dynamic linking is
taking a large toll. I don't think it needs a new ABI (al la NUBI),
but hopefully there should be some way to recover some of the lost
performance. Someone might also pop up with an offer to host access to
a multi CPU 8200 for SMP :-p

- If it includes anything gcc, there are probably other NetBSD ports
where gcc could use a little love

- If you could be interested in hacking more generally on NetBSD then
there are any number of potentially interesting projects :)

Thanks

David