Re: (native build & other issues - Was: xvfb not built on vax...)

>> It - Xvfb - provides [...]
> I can't see much point in it, but maybe others can. :-)

There isn't much point in it.  It's not something most people need
routinely; indeed, it wouldn't surprise me if most people never have
any use for it at all.  It took years before I had a real use for it,
and I'm far more into X than most.

>> Until I added -nowin to mterm, I used a 1x1 Xvfb as a display to
>> point mterm at when I had no sessions running, to keep the mterm
>> alive.
> Just curious.  Why?  I mean, why did you want to keep that mterm
> alive?

To preserve the session state (terminal session, that is).  The effect
I wanted was a bit like what I'd get by running screen within the mterm
and reattaching when I start it up again (except I don't have screen
set up).  I have three such mterms running all the time, normally: one
for mail reading, one for mudding, and one for "general use" on my main
house machine.  I not infrequently have similar special-purpose
windows, such as when I start a RAIDframe rebuild, or a compile, or
some such, that'll take a long time, like days, and want to leave it
running in a window which I can then add onto whichever X session I
happen to be using (at home, at work, at my gf's, those are the usual
suspects).

\ / Ribbon Campaign