Re: (native build & other issues - Was: xvfb not built on vax...)

Hi

I wanted to add my voice to thank Dave for his consensus building!

As to the speed of builds.   I know what I have in a machine (as it
applies to speed--currenly 6 Vups--which admittedly is more than
most by sometimes a scale of 6!)  therefore I know I am talking about
days instead of hours.

Its been some time since I did a full-build (10 years actually) but on
other systems I work on I don't do complete builds each time.  IIRC
a "world build" involves doing a complete clean first.

Would there be a possibility to create an option to do an "incremental
world build" that builds only the things that have changed?

Another point.  I myself haven't done anything with postscript files in
a long time (since I last had a DEC LN03 -- which was in 1997!)
man pages generally suffice for me and most other systems create
"html" doc where a browser is enough.   Since most of the problems
seem to be revolving around building documentation, maybe it makes
sense to "modernize" this a little.  If I speak heresy, please forgive me
already.

I just believe computers should make life easier--not more difficult.  I
do like using the older stuff because its just cool--doing it shouldn't
involve a pain factor--and there is no reason why it should.

I do agree with building the X11 clients because it is handy to export
the terminal to my laptop which runs an X Server.

What is the status on "packages" that are more or less "release independant"?
If more things were "packagized" this would reduce the things that would
have to be build in the "world build".

My EUR 0.02 worth (which is 1.28 more than my old $0.02).

-Andy