Re: (native build & other issues - Was: xvfb not built on vax...)

der Mouse wrote:
What do that virtual frame buffer do, by the way?

It - Xvfb - provides an X server to point programs at, without needing
framebuffer hardware.  In theory, you can also peek at what's being
displayed without needing to go through the X facilities.  I've never
had that work, but I've never put any real effort into finding out why
not; I could just be doing it wrong.

Since there are no real input devices, it's useless for programs that
do interactive X stuff, but it's fine for things like gnuplot that can
be useful without any X input.  Also useful for testing - for example,
if you want to make sure your program starts OK on a 27-bpp DirectColor
display but don't have any such hardware, Xvfb is your friend.

Ok.
I can't see much point in it, but maybe others can. :-)
I occasionally run gnuplot, but I don't even use X for it all the time. :-)
I might understand wanting to test how a program reacts to an environment which is a bit odd, and which you don't have real access to, as a test environment, but that's the limit of the usefulness that I can grasp in my (feeble) mind. :-)

Until I added -nowin to mterm, I used a 1x1 Xvfb as a display to point
mterm at when I had no sessions running, to keep the mterm alive.

Just curious. Why? I mean, why did you want to keep that mterm alive?

        Johnny