Re: Anyone have working pre-v8 machines?

On Tue, Apr 05, 2022 at 02:45:27PM -0400, Mouse wrote:
> >> Is that reason enough to keep the code?
> > It's not about "keeping the code" - it is about testing the new,
> > fixed code.
>
> Ah, okay.  "My theory is that there are no working v7 machines out
> there any more, and if there are, they are permanently turned off"
> sounds as though it's heading in the direction of "v7 support is
> unneeded and likely untestable", and if it _were_ untestable and unused
> then I would agree it would be better removed.

Indeed one option would have been to properly #ifdef __sparc_v8__ the
code and set -mcpu=v8 (or similar) for the default builds, downgrading
v7 to "source only". This would save the additional work of supporting
both from a single set of binaries.

However, with test options available, several better solutions are viable.

Martin