Re: SPARCStation VSIMM

On Mon, Nov 1, 2021, 6:49 AM Malte Dehling <mdehling%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 01, 2021 at 07:28:03AM -0400, Mouse wrote:
> I'm also told, elselist, that
>
> < In terms of CG14/SX hardware register-level "documentation", there is
> < an open-source CG14/SX emulator module for qemu-sparc, capable of
> < running a GUI ie: using the normal O/S drivers, at least for
> < NeXTSTEP.  Whether it emulates just a dumb CG14 framebuffer, or also
> < emulates some SX acceleration features, I'm not sure.
>
> < https://tyom.blogspot.com/2010/05/sx-framebuffer-emulation.html
>
> I haven't yet looked at it myself.  If it turns out to be more than
> dumb-framebuffer emulation, it might also be helpful.

Support was added by Bob Breuer.  From the qemu-devel mailing list:

Chipset docs are hard to come by.  But here's what I've found:
    "Sun-4M System Architecture" section A.II.3 briefly covers VSIMM and
DSIMM size detection.
    Linux kernel 2.6 drivers/video/cg14.c has most of the registers named.
    US Patent 5815137 covers the cursor implementation, but it includes
drawings which show the various color and lookup table muxing and
blending capability.

Cheers,

--
Malte Dehling
<mdehling at gmail.com>

It's been a while since I've done much with 32 bit sparcs.  That branch has basic dumb framebuffer support and the SX registers are stubbed out.  Since it required using a Sun firmware image, any software that tries to use the SX acceleration will likely crash.

My interest in it kinda fell by the wayside as more Linux distributions stopped supporting 32 bit anything, but I've been lurking here since then.

Bob