Re: SPARCStation VSIMM

>> Is there some sort of documentation for [the SX]?
> Someone(tm) sent me SX docs, but it's unclear if making them public
> will get them in trouble.  I doubt Oracle still cares about 1990s
> hardware docs but ... it's Oracle.

Fair enough.  I do hope you have taken steps to ensure the doc is
escrowed against the future...?

> So for now there's sys/arch/sparc/dev/sxreg.h for registers and
> instructions, and sys/arch/sparc/dev/cgfourteen.c and
> xsrc/mit/xf86-video-suncg14/dist/src/cg14_accel.c and cg14_render.c
> for prior art on using it.

I'm also told, elselist, that

< In terms of CG14/SX hardware register-level "documentation", there is
< an open-source CG14/SX emulator module for qemu-sparc, capable of
< running a GUI ie: using the normal O/S drivers, at least for
< NeXTSTEP.  Whether it emulates just a dumb CG14 framebuffer, or also
< emulates some SX acceleration features, I'm not sure.

< https://tyom.blogspot.com/2010/05/sx-framebuffer-emulation.html

I haven't yet looked at it myself.  If it turns out to be more than
dumb-framebuffer emulation, it might also be helpful.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign