Re: SS20 cg14 help

> >> Well, cg14 and SX are different things.  We know enough to make the
> >> cg14 useful but not the SX.
> > Well, I have files here like "sx.c": [...]
> > and "sx_cmem.c": [...]
> > All of these are not redistributable.  But they only carry the Sun
> > copyright message, not any third party copyright.
>
> Do you have them under NDA?  If not, I think in most jurisdictions it
> would be legal for you to study them, deduce an interface spec, write
> it up, and release it.

ENOTIME

> > Maybe if someone lobbied the right people, Sun might consider
> > releasing these files...
>
> That could certainly help.  But, have you read them?  Based on just
> what you've said so far, it's possible that they're nothing but glue
> layers, with the real smarts in the applications that speak to the
> hardware - for example, framebuffer drivers are often like this, with
> the code we'd really like to see being in the relevant window system
> server.

ENOCLUE

:-)

To be a little less terse:  Yes, I think a dedicated person who has
the files could derive some h/w specs from the files.  I'm quite confident
it's legal if said person then stays away from the actual coding of a new
driver.

If the Sun-provided files contain enough info for a complete drive,
I just cannot say whithout really digging into the subject matter.
Given the age of the files, I believe that Sun does not really lose
anything if they release the files.  It is more a challenge of finding
someone at Sun who is willing to spend the time and effort of getting
them released.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt                  Consulting and Support for Sun Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim                     Email:
vab%bb-c.de@localhost
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 45
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J. H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt