Re: SS20 cg14 help

Hello,

On Aug 5, 2009, at 2:36 AM, der Mouse wrote:

I talked to someone who designed graphics chips at Sun, unfortunately
he didn't design the SX and I've been unable to contact the person
who did.

:(  Still, that's more info than I've found. :-/

Well, someone else established the contact.

I actually meant, like the cg6 in that we have no docs on the
interesting parts, not in any other respect.
Well, we know enough about the cg6 to make it useful ( as in
accelerated console, accelerated X ), unlike the SX.

True - well, true if you consider it not "useful" if you can't get
faster than dumb-framebuffer speeds.  I find 8bpp windows on the cg14
fast enough to be useful, while 24bpp is painful - but having 24bpp
available on the same screen is very nice.

Well, cg14 and SX are different things. We know enough to make the cg14 useful but not the SX.

Btw. some kind soul finally sent me an S24 - I've been reading your
description of the hardware and it looks like it will be enough to
write a kinda-sorta accelerated X driver ( fills, simple copies and
colour expansion, apparently that's all we can get out of the
hardware ).

Yeah, the acceleration is pretty rudimentary, but should be faster than
dumb framebuffer operations by a factor of somwhere between 2 and 32,
depending on exactly what the operation is, if memory left over from
last time I looked at the S24 is accurate.

Yeah, still better than nothing. Looks like at that time Sun was playing with different, non-traditional ways to do graphics acceleration.

Do you know what exactly is the difference between S24 and 8bit tcx?
Can I treat the tcx like a retarded S24 with only the 8bit
framebuffer?

I don't know.  It might be worth trying that to see if it works; I
haven't done so myself - in fact, I dojn't think I've played with the
8bit tcx at all.

I don't even have an 8bit tcx.

have fun
Michael