Re: NetBSD/hpcmips userland crashes (Re: IBM Workpad z50 dmesg collection)

On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 4:31 AM David Brownlee abs%absd.org@localhost
<http://mailto:abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:

> We (mainly Alex) are trying to track down when the issue started by
> starting with a netbsd-7 install and then testing different kernels
> built from source between netbsd-7 and netbsd-8.

Where did you get the NetBSD 7 install? The earliest one I see on
NetBSD.org is 8.0.

I was able to get a filesystem formatted on wd0a using sysinst 9.3 (and a
lot of persistence), but I wasn’t able to download base or any other sets,
so I just copied over sysinst’s root to wd0a. I tried using /bin/sh as
/sbin/init, but that causes a kernel panic. (panic: init died (signal 0,
exit 0)). It’s been a while since I used NetBSD, but shouldn’t that work?

I'm also running into some issue with, I believe, power management. Shortly
after booting, I’ll see some message flash up on the screen and before I
have a chance to read it, the screen will turn off. This is happening with
the 9.3 kernel as well as the kernel from 2013-01-01. The power button does
not wake it up and I have to reset the machine all the way back to WinCE.
Any idea how to disable APM (and/or screensavers) at boot time?

—b9

So far we've narrowed it down to between 2016-07-01 and 2016-08-01,