Re: install files on mac UFS partition (mac mini G4)

> Hi all,

Hi Kristoff,

> I am trying to install netbsd 9.2 (or 9.0) on a mac mini G4.

Cool !
I did it too, recently.

> The box has been running macOSX years ago, then linux (debian) and also FreeBSD, so I do not have access to the mac software.
>

> I would like to try netbsd to see if I get better software support.
>

> The problem I have, if I see it correctly, is the apple openfirmware 3 needs a HFS partition and -for some reason- the netbsd installer does not seems to create that.
>

> In the end, I got the FreeBSD installer to create me a HFS partition, and I have netbsd installed on the 2nd partition.
> (in openfirmware, I can do 'dir hd:,\' and see the files)
>

> However, the problem now is that the files on the HFS partition are -of course- the FreeBSD tools (inside hd:,\ppc\...) and no the netbsd files (like 'ofwboot.xcf')
>

> So what would be the best way to correct this,
> I was hoping that booting into the shell with the netbsd install ISO CD would allow me to do that, but I do not find the tools to access the HFS partition. (hformat, hcopy, ...)
>

> Is there some sort of 'rescue-disk' I can boot from that allows to do file-operations on the HFS partition?
> I guess I also need wget or curl to download ofwboot.xcf from some server and it not on the CD image.
>

> While reading the archive of this mailing-list, I found some reference to using a MSDOS partition instead of a HFS partition.
> What would be the best way to reformat the HFS partition into a MSDOS partition and copy ofwboot.xvf on it?
>

> Any help appreciated.

Well, I would suggest you to follow this guide https://jmmv.dev/2010/01/installing-netbsdmacppc-on-mac-mini-g4.html

If it sounds too complicated (should not be), tell us.
I think the easiest (if you had one) would have been to use a Mac OS X install disk form which create the HFS partition and move the boot loader into it.

> Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

Cheers,
umc