Re: Help with build.sh error - killed

On 12/17/20 5:31 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:

Bob McGowan <ramjr98%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:

Mac B&W G3, 128 MB RAM, Mac OS 9.2.2 on a 9G SCSI disk, second SCSI
(LVD, 30+G) on Adaptec 39160 controller, 400 MHz CPU, BootROM 1.1f,
OpenFirmware 3.1.1
Other people who are actually running macppc* may comment, but this
strikes me as not really enough RAM to run builds these days reasonably.

* I have a few macppc notebooks, but haven't set them up.  They have
   512M or 1G though.

I would suggest finding another computer to do builds on.  One of the
great things about NetBSD is that the build.sh process is fully cross.
So you can build NetBSD/macppc on a NetBSD/amd64 machine, or even on
Linux/something  or FreBSD/something.   If you have a spare x86 box,
with even 1G of RAM, I urge you to set it up with NetBSD and use it to
crossbuild for macppc.

If you had 1G or even 512M on the mac, I wouldn't push you so much in
this direction.  But 128M feels like asking for trouble unnecessarily.

Of course, someone with an actual macppc with that amount of RAM doing
builds will be able to speak to this more authoritatively than me.

Strange to say, it never crossed my mind to try cross compiling. I will do that.

I should probably try getting additional ram for it, regardless, if I expect to actually do anything with the machine.

Thanks,

Bob