Help with build.sh error - killed

Hi,

I'm new to NetBSD, though I've been a UNIX and Linux user for close to 40 years.

Here's my hardware:

Mac B&W G3, 128 MB RAM, Mac OS 9.2.2 on a 9G SCSI disk, second SCSI (LVD, 30+G) on Adaptec 39160 controller, 400 MHz CPU, BootROM 1.1f, OpenFirmware 3.1.1

OpenFirmware does see the controller at /pci@80000000/pci-bridge@d/pci9005,f620@3. Selecting this device and applying the 'words' command initially resulted in 4 screens of multiple columns of words but I could not find either 'open' or 'close' (could well have just missed seeing them).   However, a recent try at the same thing leaves a blank screen, no output.

Here's what I've done:

Installed NetBSD to the LVD disk, letting the install process automatically configure it.

Copied ofwboot.xcf and netbsd to the root of the 9G OS 9 disk.

Set up an alias in NVRAM to load the boot file and kernel from the Mac disk.

Booting from OpenFirmware works well, but I have to manually enter the correct root location.

Per the documentation, I can build a kernel and hard code the root location.  But I need to build the tool chain first.

Here's the problem:  the build runs quite a while, and then fails.  Unfortunately, the actual error scrolled off the screen.

So I reran the build, capturing error/stdout to a file using tee.

While waiting for the build to fail, I logged in via ssh and decided to run a pkg_add to install sudo. It died almost instantly with the error "killed".

So I waited until the build failed and checked the file, to see that it had died when one of the sub-processes had died, with the same "killed" error.

I have a vague memory that this type of error may indicate insufficient RAM/swap.

Can someone tell me if my memory is good or if this means something else is wrong?

Thanks,

Bob