Port-ia64 archive

Re: [crosspost] dropping support for ia64

(cc Greg as stable maintainer)

On Sat, 20 May 2023 at 21:23, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz%physik.fu-berlin.de@localhost> wrote:

> I have been thinking about this discussion for a while now and my suggestion
> would be to drop ia64 support from the kernel, GRUB and gcc/binutils/glibc in
> this order:
>
> - Kernel: After the next LTS release
> - GRUB: After the 2.12 release
> - gcc/binutils/glibc: After support was dropped from the kernel
>
> This way anyone still using ia64 will be able to use it with a supported codebase
> for an extended time and upstream projects have target releases for which they
> can plan the removal.

Yeah, I think this is reasonable. Having a clear agreement on where
the support ends helps both the remaining users and the developers
eager to move on.

My only question is how we would land fixes for ia64 into this Linux
LTS release if there is no upstream any longer to draw from.

Greg, could you comment on this?