Port-i386 archive

Vesa framebuffer in NetBSD i386: anybody have success?

Has anybody successfully enabled vesa framebuffer in kernel configuration file
in NetBSD 5.x without funny things happening like screen blanking and not
coming back in response to keyboard activity, unless one types "screenblank -u"
at an invisible command prompt?  Also, inability to go to X and subsequently
get back to visible text-mode console?

I've had great problems, noticed PR 41214, wondered how widespread this problem
was.  I think it affects only port-i386?

I wonder if NetBSD 5.1 release will improve matters.

Tom