Port-i386 archive

Re: IEEE 1394B (FireWire 800) Card

Thanks for the responses so far.

The 5.0_STABLE generic kernel config does have FireWire enabled. My machine's motherboard (an Intel D975XBX2KR) has an IEEE 1394A / FireWire 400 interface. Some quick tests with an external drive appeared to work fine, including hot-plugging (although some of the kernel messages looked a little odd --- will need to check this more carefully).

But, I really would like to have the much faster speed of FireWire 800.

Perhaps FireWire 400 and FireWire 800 interfaces look the same to the driver, but it would be nice to know if someone has had success with FireWire 800 before I buy a random card.

Best regards,

--Bill