Re: new binary packages for NetBSD/hpcsh

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Christer O. Andersson wrote:

works fine, but 256MB is a bit too small. The extreme III is not

I'd say go for a gig at least. You'll want to play, and you'll need space. CF is cheap these days.

Lucent based WiFi's work right out the box with the GENERIC kernel.
Cisco Aironet works with a custom kernel. You do need a 16 bit
pcmcia card, the Jornada doesn't support 32 bit Cardbus.

My classic Orinoco Gold card works fine.

Are there binaries for this setup to enable things like e-mail, web
browsing, image viewing and word processing yet? Where do I find those?

There are two repositories of hpcsh binaries. Torsten's is at
http://www.atlas.uni-wuppertal.de/~harenber/NetBSD-hpcsh/ and
wrzymski's is at ftp://ftp.netbsd.pl/pub/pkgsrc/current/hpcsh/All/
The latter seems to be down right now, so try it later.

Otherwise you can compile yourself. I do this by booting and mounting and swap over nfs to avoid pounding on the CF card. Obviously you need a machine with an NFS server for this to work. Look in the list archives for info on how to NFS boot.

I use pine for email and elinks for surfing. I managed to get Gaim to compile, and it works OK once you get it set up for the small display, but I never managed to make gaim-encryption build. I've used the Jornada as a samba and ssh server.

Most things that are supported for other platforms are supported
for hpcsh. Of course the limited amount of RAM has a major impact
on large applications. Most people run hpcsh without swap or with
NFS mounted swap, that limits the usability of memory hogging
programs as well. Even if you use a swap partition on your flash
card it will be rather slow, and probably wear out you CF faster.
You can find all kind of packages in the NetBSD packages collection.
Either as source, or as binary packages at the site mentioned in
the beginning of this thread. It is a bit slow to compile on the
hpcsh.

Things that work slowly are anything with a heavy graphical interface. X works fine, but I use it mainly for xterms. Anything heavier than that will go very slowly, and will ultimately crash due to a memory error.

I use a swap partition on my flash drive, and haven't had any problems so far. Just don't try to run too many apps at once.

I use mutt for email and links for browsing the web. I think I've
read that xpdf works. Word processing I don't know. Text editors
should work. Vi is included in the default install, but that is
perhaps not word processing.

You can read word documents using antiword, but if you want to edit them, you might be better off with the Windows CE word processor.

Mike