Port-hpcmips archive

Re: Kde 1 or 2 on NetBSd 5.x

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 5:40 AM, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:
> Well, may be worth keeping a rdesktop client to hand, if for no other
> reason to confuse people by having a full screen Windows 8 (or 10)
> display on the Workpad when you have a net connection :)

It would probably be mistaken for a newer netbook other than the screen.....  :)

> I remember setting up kde1 for someone on an old sparc2 to use to
> monitor the render queues from home while at Dreamworks. I also gave
> them a fvwm2 option, which after a little while they switched too
> exclusively for the extra speed. They still had the kde apps if they
> ever needed them...
> I'd say a very lightweight window manager to leave as much RAM as
> possible for whichever X editor you pick!

I installed fvwm1 via pkgsrc, but I'm not very impressed with it.  I
may try to do fvwm instead.

The reason I want KDE2 is KOffice.  I've used KWord for so long it's
like second nature to me.  I currently use Trinity Desktop r14 on my
main laptop(openSUSE 13.2/x64).

Having used KDE2 back when it was new, I know it was less resource
intensive than KDE1.  I managed to find the sources for KDE2 at:

http://ftp.vim.org/windowing/kde/Attic/2.2.2/src/

But I'm not sure about trying to compile them yet.  I don't know if
pkgsrc can do anything with them, and I don't know if I need to find
the qt2 libs for it as well(likely).

I'm also afraid of trying to compile them on a faster machine only
having to have done something wrong & they not work.  Compiling it on
the Z50 would probably take forever.....