Port-hpcmips archive

Re: Kde 1 or 2 on NetBSd 5.x

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 10:21 AM, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:
> Absolutely - I've run X between at least mips, sparc, m68k, x86, vax,
> arm, alpha, m68k and sh3, though not anything like all at the same
> time :)

That's what I thought.  I just have never really had a reason to do
much remote desktop other than using RDP with Windows from Linux.

> Its definitely a tradeoff. You're going to find the memory on the Z50
> very limiting for any modern X ish task (apart from X terminal, or
> possibly rdesktop remote viewer)

I've read that it MIGHT be possible to increase the Z50 to 64MB RAM.
The motherboard has 2 RAM chips and 2 open pads that could have RAM
chips.  Further, Linux reads the onboard as 0-16MB and the SODIMM as
33-64MB.  So, IF I could find the correct chips and solder them in, it
MIGHT work.  If anybody has managed to do it, I haven't been able to
find it.  But a lot of stuff this old is starting to disappear from
the net...... :(  Granted increasing from 48 to 64MB isn't much, but
it is 33% more, so it would help some.  That was one reason I was
thinking of using an older version of BSD.  KDE 1 ran well on 32MB of
RAM 16 years ago.....

If necessary I could use the built-in Pocket Word in the Windows CE
system(and probably will).  Of course that's also a 16 year old
OS.......