Port-hpcmips archive

Re: Kde 1 or 2 on NetBSd 5.x

On 1 April 2015 at 14:22, Larry Stotler <larrystotler%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 9:04 AM, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:
>
>> Again probably, but likely to be a lot of work. You might have more
>> luck with xfce or one of the other "light weight" modern environments.
>> For a very quick and simple window manager I quite like jwm.
>
> I've used fvwm before, and lxde under linux.  I kinda prefer KDE3(I
> run Trinity Desktop now instead of KDE4).  I was thinking about trying
> to install KDE3 just to see how bad it would run.  I've run KDE3 on a
> P2/400 with 96MB RAM, and it wasn't that bad.  Also, I have the Cobalt
> RAQ2s, which have 250Mhz chips & 256MB RAM, so I could possibly use
> one as a remote X server.  How well does running X across the network
> work/or is even possible, when running different architectures?  Of

Absolutely - I've run X between at least mips, sparc, m68k, x86, vax,
arm, alpha, m68k and sh3, though not anything like all at the same
time :)

> course the downside to remote X is that I want to use the Z50 for
> writing on the go, so I would need to be able to runs still on it
> directly.

Its definitely a tradeoff. You're going to find the memory on the Z50
very limiting for any modern X ish task (apart from X terminal, or
possibly rdesktop remote viewer)