Port-hpcmips archive

Re: z50 battery oddity

> What I don't know, however, is whether the charge control circuit is in the
> battery itself or if >it's in the z50. In any case, the long and the short of
> it is that yes, you can replace the Li-ion >cells, but the cells aren't
> readily available to consumers (I have seen them online and in >surplus
> stores), and you run the risk of causing a toxic metal fire if you screw
> things up :P

Each battery module has to keep track of its own cells' degradation
over time (if you treat old cells like new ones, you'll severely
overcharge them, which would be *bad* for Li-ion), so there's some
intelligence built into the pack.

Also, if you have a Li-ion pack that contains a bunch of cylindrical
cells, they're almost certainly 18650s, which are a little bigger than
AAs.  Li-ion cells are, of course, electrically incompatible with any
chemistry sold in AA packaging.  Batteryrefill.com will crack open
your pack, replace those cells, put it back together, and ship it back
to you.  It's probably worth it to let them do it, even if you could
get your own cells, for a couple reasons:
1. They already know how to open and reassemble your pack without
damaging it too much.
2. They have the equipment to make good welds onto the batteries.
Spot welders aren't cheap, and if you try to attach a tab to a cell
with a regular soldering iron you'll almost certainly heat the cell up
enough to damage it, if not set the damn thing on fire.
3. I think they have a warranty.

As for running from 12V lead-acid, I've run mine from a
straight-through lighter socket adapter (with the engine off, so just
the battery voltage) plugged into the AC adapter port.  It won't
charge its own battery from that, but it runs happily.  That's
probably easier than hacking plugs into the AA case or an old dead
battery pack.

Brian