Re: Any good ARM based hardware for NetBSD fileserver

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 12:47:49PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 08:41:37AM +0200, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:

> > > Then one of the low power Intel/AMD sytems is probably the best.
> > > An ARM solution might have the edge regarding power usage of the
> > > SoC, but for a fileserver that's only a fraction of the total power
> > > usage. As a plus you have a standard form factor, for a standard
> > > case, with standard drive slots, etc.
> >
> > I'm considering this too (since indeed one significant part of heat
> > comes from the disks---due to the size of data served and backup'ed,
> > spinning disks are the only reasonable solution.
> >
> > But I'd like to give ARM a try in order to not have all eggs in the same
> > basket and to see how this works.
>
> If you have the system on the sd card, you should be able to spin down
> the disk when not needed (check atactl setstandby) and limit power.
>
> Not an issue for me as I use a SSD (another critical point for me is noise,
> so no rotating parts :)

In my case, noise is not a concern---this is in an office, for work.

I've never thought of atactl'ing the disk... Thanks for the tip!

I'm starting to have, thanks to everyone, hints and trails and I will
start balancing pros and cons.

Best,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/