Re: Any good ARM based hardware for NetBSD fileserver

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 07:45:08PM +0100, U'll Be King Of The Stars wrote:
> On 14/06/2019 18:32, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 07:08:36PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> >> Check the Olimex (olimex.com) A20-based olinuxino boards:
> >> https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A20/open-source-hardware
> >>
> >> I use several lime2 and I'm happy with them.
> >> They have gigabit ethernet and native SATA.
> >> You can add a LiPo battery, and if you power your SATA drive from the
> >> on-board connector (don't forget to order the cable with the board), the LiPo
> >> battery will also power the drive.
> >>

> > Thank you for the reference! The native SATA is a promising part...
>
> Indeed.  I would suggest that if you are committed to using a cheap SBC,
> /at the very least/ use one that has native SATA.
>
> This avoids your data for storage going over the USB bus and competing
> with other peripherals that are on the USB bus with the same controller.

Among the references people have given, there is also PCIe and a PCIe
SATA expansion card possibility.

For USB, this is what I have (partially) for the moment and this
is definitively what I want to avoid as the plague in the future...
(even Microsoft which codevelops the spec has some weird behavior
with USB from time to time.) IP over Ethernet is a far better choice
for connection but one needs some OS between the storage and the
interface. So...

As for prices, I'm not after something "cheap". Prices have dropped
significantly so this is not any longuer a great concern. I want
something reduced to what I need for a fileserver, reliable, handled by
NetBSD with low electric requisits and low heat dissipation.

Best,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/