Re: New packages and question about BUILDLINK_DEPENDS

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 12:13:21PM +0200, Aron Stansvik wrote:
> Okay. Anyone else know of a more "correct" way to do this?
>
> I'm thinking maybe I should use >=1.4.0 intially after all, and when
> 1.4.0 is really released, if the API has been broken (unlikely), I'll
> bump the PKGREVISION to 1 and change the buildlink3.mk to pull in
> memcache>=1.4.0nb1, to force any dependants (that will probably still
> be only lighttpd) to update themselves.

Actually, I'd suggest a slightly different way:  Since 1.4.0.b5 is
a higher dewey number than 1.4.0, but is a lower version number,
I'd set PKGNAME to libmemcache-1.3.99 and then depend on that
version. If 1.4.0 breaks the API, just bump the dependency.

I don't think there's any use in depending on versions that have
never been in pkgsrc. And I don't like "libmemcache>" without a
version number at all -- it's bound to break something :)

Cheers,
 Thomas