Re: Circular dependency on archlinux base system

* On 2023-07-12 at 22:50 BST, klu wrote:

Forgot to ask, how should this be fixed properly? According to [1],
hostname is just not part of arch base installation anymore. I got it
from `pacman -S inetutils`, but it seems to better not to assume it's
always available.

It's a good question. It's pulled in by default in this section of mk/bsd.pkg.mk:

  # These are all of the tools use by pkgsrc Makefiles.  This should
  # eventually be split up into lists of tools required by different
  # phases of a pkgsrc build.
  #
  USE_TOOLS+=

It would actually be useful if you could remove it from the list there, leave it uninstalled, and then see what, if anything, breaks.

As the comment says, we really should remove that entire section at some point and just add the tools in the locations where they are required. Not only does that help with code quality, it also helps avoid some of the costs associated with creating tool wrappers during a package build.

Cheers,

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com