Re: Compact Linux distro for primarily pkgsrc based installation

On 11/29/22 22:52, Mayuresh wrote:
Looking for suggestions on Linux distro on which I can use "pkgsrc first"
approach to install applications i.e. I'd use native binary packages only
as an exception, if it's badly needed and unavailable on pkgsrc.

In the bargain it should give me a very simple installation process to get
just the bare essentials installed, preferably with installation iso size
of under 1GB and installation time of a few minutes - somewhat like
NetBSD.

I have been using Lubuntu. But looking for something much smaller.

I use Alma Linux, minimal installation. As a RHEL derivative, it uses older tools than bleeding-edge distros, which means that packages are more thoroughly tested for compatibility. Most things that work on RHEL will also work with newer tools, but the converse is not true. I also run a Debian VM and I've never seen a package tested on Alma (or CentOS) fail on Debian.

I'm biased toward scientific computing, though. I test on Alma because more than 90% of HPC clusters run RHEL derivatives. Typical users may not care about RHEL.

auto-pkgsrc-setup will install the minimum Yum tools needed for pkgsrc if you run it as root, otherwise it will tell you what to install.

http://netbsd.org/~bacon/