Re: Testing rust 1.56.0

nia <nia%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

1> On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 02:13:59PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

>> nia <nia%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:
>>
>> > Surely llvm should be updated rather than requiring
>> > bundled llvm simply because it's a newer version?
>>
>> I don't see this as either-or.
>>
>> If somebody thinks llvm should be updated and wants to, they should go
>> ahead and do that, with the usual caveats of not breaking things.
>>
>> When updating rust, if it doesn't work with the llvm in pkgsrc, then it
>> seems like a valid workaround for the upstream bug of needing recent
>> versions of everything to turn on the option.
>>
>> I feel that adding a rule that one can't do the 2nd thing is just going
>> to delay rust and delay other things, or lead to a rushed update and
>> breakage
>
> pkgsrc really should have consistent poliies on bundled libraries.
> Most other package managers do.

We more or less do have a policy that other libraries should not be
bundled, but we also want to provide working rust packages with the
finite volunteer time available.

The no-bundling policy also appears not really followed in the go and
node worlds -- but I may have that wrong.

That said, I'd like to see comments explaining any bundling and treating
it as a bug to be resolved eventually.