Re: Starting with pkgsrc on pristine system: update

> I think at this point, it is clear that something is messed up with your system.

Sometimes a package or OS will build or run on one computer but crash or not run on another.

> On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 8:58 AM Thomas Mueller <mueller6725%twc.com@localhost> wrote:
> > But now there is another problem, on amd64 but possibly not on i386: building meta-pkgs/pkg_developer calls in lang/go14, and building that crashed the system, messed up /home partition.  I had to run fsck_ffs -y, have a lot of
> lost+found subdirectories.

> What? How?

> No pkgsrc package should ever touch, much less mess up, the /home
> partition. I cannot even imagine how this could happen.

> go14 is a very old Go version (the last one written in C, in fact)
> that's used for bootstrapping newer versions. Because it is so old, it
> has been built a LOT of times over the years. It seems unlikely to me
> that it is causing any of the behavior you describe.

I had some applications open, with /home mounted.

So when the system crashed on building go14, /home was not properly dismounted, which can mess up that file system even though building go14 would not do anything on /home partition.

If go14 is very old and outdated, why is it used at all, instead of a more current version?

I could try to build lang/gco16.  But isn't go an (optional) part of gcc, therefore not needing to be built separately?

I looked in various relevant pkgsrc subirectories, and "make show-depends" never showed a dependency on go14.

I could also go forward without pkglint or the full pkg_developer and see if I can build up a useful system.

Tom