Re: Running autogen.sh (was: Re: elinks upgrade request)

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 08:36:50PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
> Exactly because of all these differences, someone (doesn't have to be
> me) should run over all of the packages that currently run autogen.sh to
> see what exactly these packages do and whether we can build a common
> model that fits at least 95 percent of them.

Running a package's autogen (when it is suitable to do so in pkgsrc
framework) is the choice we are proposing. Now if individual's package's
autogen's are doing different things that's ok. If you don't like what it
does don't set this option. Just because autogen exists a pkgsrc packager
is not obliged to run it.

It will at least get rid of those situations where autogen is merely run
as-is in 40+ different ways in pkgsrc.

I don't think what we are proposing has much to do with variability among
autogens. The only variability we are modeling is whether to use it or
not.

Mayuresh