Re: modular-xorg installation fails on Dragonfly 1.8.1-RELEASE with pkgsrc-2007Q1

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 01:21:18PM +0530, Siju George wrote:
> It would be great if you can add the Platoforms for which boot
> strapping is not needed in the bootstrap section of pkgsrc guide :-)

Bootstrapping is the way to ensure that you get a working, current set
of basic tools. It is the simplest approach to ensure that a number of
critical tool exists (for old systems like IRIX) and that you have a
reasonable current version of bmake and pkg_install.

DragonFly is *not* special in that regard, it just ships with the
bootstrap kit installed. This is quite likely to be the default for
NetBSD in the future as well.

The reason this is somewhat difficult is that for a long time bootstrap
was installing /etc/mk.conf and that is used as fallback by the mk files
installed via pkgsrc as well. I am considering to change that for the
obvious reasons, it shouldn't care for anything outside the documented
prefix.

Joerg