Re: firefox resource hog

On Sun, Jan 8, 2023 at 12:16 PM Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> wrote:
> I too notice things are slower on NetBSD with Firefox and ArcticFox seems to do better, so the hint that "threads" and "processes" might be an issue is a hint.

I think this has something to do with the relative slowness of
synchronization primitives in NetBSD, which in turn has to do with the
HZ setting in the kernel. For instance (not directly related), every
time the Go runtime needs to to a short wait -- say, 100 ns -- it ends
up being a 5-10 ms wait. Because Go and Rust are a lot more
multi-threaded, they use these primitives a lot more.

All this to say: if you want faster Firefox, ultimately you need to
look into making Rust run faster on NetBSD.

The difference is obvious if you compile lang/rust on NetBSD vs. Linux
on the same machine.

--
Benny