Re: firefox resource hog

On Mon, Jan 09, 2023 at 09:20:07AM +0100, Benny Siegert wrote:
> All this to say: if you want faster Firefox, ultimately you need to
> look into making Rust run faster on NetBSD.

I don't buy that. Most of firefox performance is totally unrelated
to compiler efficiency of neither Rust nor the C++ compiler used.

Someone (tm) should really look into the firefox debugging options
and memory statistics that are only partly implemented on NetBSD, and
then get real numbers for real performance tests.

We should make that a GSoC project - but it might be too big for
3 month.

> The difference is obvious if you compile lang/rust on NetBSD vs. Linux
> on the same machine.

Because they compile with vastly different settings and probably also
different LLVM versions?

Pkgsrc forces strang rust build options (unthreaded build or something
like that) for NetBSD IIRC.

My bet would be the same "single threaded build" on Linux would take
roughly the same time overall.

Martin