Re: firefox resource hog

Hi,

On 1/7/23 18:49, Clay Daniels wrote:
I find that firefox 105 or 107 are almost unusable on a laptop running
NetBSD 10.0 BETA.
My older 2014 machine has similar 4gb ram & I have found arcticfox works best there.

but at the end ArcticFox is really close to Firefox, something like a mix of FF 40-52 things... backports, in features and fixes, but at the "core" it should behave as FF 40-45. This means its process setup, it does not use E10s/Electrolysis yet and has the old-old interface and is "full C/C++" without rust.

Being the main author behind it, I do know. It comes from PaleMoon 27, but I "firefoxized" it a lot since the fork - trying not to sacrifice much.

Besides startup times, on a normal Intel computer with 2 cores with 2-4GB of RAM I must say general usage of Firefox compares well with ArcticFox. Something like the NetBSD website, wikipedia, DuckDuckGo. What changes a lot is opening more tabs! but with less than 3GB or ram one shouldn't really have more than a couple of tabs nowadays.

I too notice things are slower on NetBSD with Firefox and ArcticFox seems to do better, so the hint that "threads" and "processes" might be an issue is a hint.

Also, acceleration does make a difference and on similar systems, Linux still seems to be a tad better and/or supporting more cards.

Unfortunately, on my two best NetBSD laptops where I would browse, I can't test well.

-> on one laptop, x86 + nvidia, nouveau doesn't work and the "nv" driver is so slow and full of scrolling artifacts that beyond compilation and startup, I can't "test and compare" ArcticFox

-> my other, x86-64 + i915, is running current NetBSD and there ArcticFox stopped building. So if you like ArcticFox on NetBSD, help :)

As another comparison, there is FreeBSD. Unfortunately, ArcticFox doesn't support most recent versions of FreeBSD either, but on my workstation with x86-64 and i915 I can still compare and there ArcitcFox and FireFox are "closer" like linux, although FF uses more ram with many tabs.

- I think NetBSD trails in performance, due to some thread&process related thing + graphic acceleration, but it is just a gut feeling.

- if you like ArcticFox, it needs help on BSDs :)

Riccardo