Re: IBM IMM shared port

kab00m%lich.phys.spbu.ru@localhost (Dima Veselov) writes:

>I have an IBM x3200 M3 server with built-in IMM IPMI service
>processor. This server have IPMI network port shared with first network
>card. This setup is quite popular and I have several different servers
>having no issues with that. While booting, OS initialize network
>interface and IPMI stop responding for a while, then connection is
>restored. My guess is that happens because of internal switch reset when
>network interface get reset.

The ethernet controller is shared between BMC and OS. While this construct
may work in single-user mode, if BMC and OS driver co-operate, it tends
to fail exactly when you need it, i.e. when the system crashed and you
need IPMI to recover.
So I try to avoid it whenever possible and dedicate that interface to
the BMC.