IBM IMM shared port

Greetings!

I have an IBM x3200 M3 server with built-in IMM IPMI service
processor. This server have IPMI network port shared with first network card. This setup is quite popular and I have several different servers having no issues with that. While booting, OS initialize network interface and IPMI stop responding for a while, then connection is restored. My guess is that happens because of internal switch reset when network interface get reset.

But on this particular machine internal switch goes down upon wm0 initialization and will not function until interface will come up fully configured. I have kernel console running on tty01 and that means I may not use it if server goes in single-user at all.

What experiment can be conducted to analyze what part of code provoke network disruption? Can I make same thing happen on live system? In live system I can ping IPMI and bring interface up or down and both make not more than 2 packets lost.

--
Dima Veselov
Physics R&D Establishment of Saint-Petersburg University