Re: updating direct from 5 to 9?

Le Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 06:45:14PM +0200, Martin Husemann a écrit :
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 05:16:19PM +0200, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:
> > On a fresh install, with a custom compiled 9.3 with the setting of
> > DKWEDGE_METHOD_MBR and perhaps DKWEDGE_METHOD_BDSLABEL also (I'm not
> > sure), I was unable to boot, because since the disk numbering
> > depended on the booting options (I was testing with several systems:
> > one Debian and one NetBSD on a disk; and another NetBSD, alone, on
> > another disk), my fstab was immune from a remapping of drives with:
>
> The best solution to share a disk for multiple installs is to use GPT
> and use NAME=... syntax in /etc/fstab. This should be created by
> default with the 9.3 installer already, and if you select each individual
> partition in the installer and set the label option, you can even get
> nice names there.
>
> But I probably misunderstood the issue you saw.

I was trying to install on a remote baremetal server and a NetBSD installation
did not work. So, to try to debug, I had to install a provided image
first and there were only Debian variants.
Since the machine is a legacy BIOS only (ten years old hardware), this is the
Debian installation that created the MBR. I had no choice then and
created a MBR too on the second disk.

I had already enough problems without adding this to the list ;-)
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/