Re: updating direct from 5 to 9?

Le Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 09:59:28PM +0700, Robert Elz a écrit :
>     Date:        Mon, 22 Aug 2022 16:19:03 +0200
>     From:        Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost>
>

>   | Booting a 9.3 install CD and digging around a bit I found the 9.3 kernel
>   |  - auto-creates bogus wedges dk0 (for the FFSv1 at /) and dk1 (for the
>   |    swap partition.
>
> You might want to try to find out why it is making wedges for a
> disklabelled drive at all?   DKWEDGE_METHOD_BSDLABEL (and the MBR
> form) are supposed to be off by default.
>
> And second, find out why the existence of wedges has any effect on
> mounting wd0a (would be different if you were using dk0 for some
> reason on a filesystem not intended to have wedges).
>
> This has no bearing on why wedges created would not have the
> proper settings of course.

On a fresh install, with a custom compiled 9.3 with the setting of
DKWEDGE_METHOD_MBR and perhaps DKWEDGE_METHOD_BDSLABEL also (I'm not
sure), I was unable to boot, because since the disk numbering
depended on the booting options (I was testing with several systems:
one Debian and one NetBSD on a disk; and another NetBSD, alone, on
another disk), my fstab was immune from a remapping of drives with:

ROOT.a
ROOT.b

Apparently, all the combinations of the "acrobatics" that
can be made to identify disks are not supported (neither a request nor
a critic: a statement). The same is probably even more true if the
names are taken "as is" (/dev/wd0a instead of /dev/dk0).
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/