Re: updating direct from 5 to 9?

    Date:        Mon, 22 Aug 2022 16:19:03 +0200
    From:        Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost>

  | Booting a 9.3 install CD and digging around a bit I found the 9.3 kernel
  |
  |  - auto-creates bogus wedges dk0 (for the FFSv1 at /) and dk1 (for the
  |    swap partition.

You might want to try to find out why it is making wedges for a
disklabelled drive at all?   DKWEDGE_METHOD_BSDLABEL (and the MBR
form) are supposed to be off by default.

And second, find out why the existence of wedges has any effect on
mounting wd0a (would be different if you were using dk0 for some
reason on a filesystem not intended to have wedges).

This has no bearing on why wedges created would not have the
proper settings of course.

  | I dimly recall the disklabel moved into the type 169 MBR partition
  | a long time ago - I bet 4.0 was before that change and this is what
  | now causes the broken wedge auto-detection.

I doubt you will win that bet.   I don't recall a time when the label
was ever not in the NetBSD partition, which means if it was, we're talking
about sometime in the early 1.x versions, or before.   (I started with 1.3,
but didn't really ever use that on an x86 system, more on sparc, which is
MBR free).

But that is easy for you to check - just hunt for the disklabel on the
"drive" you have configured the 4.0 system on, and see where it is.
Maybe somehow there are two, perhaps different ones?

kre