Re: updating direct from 5 to 9?

So I fooled myself - here is what happened:

 - the disk I started with (cloned this VM instance from) had a GPT

 - the 4.0 installation know nothing about GPT and just did its think,
   replacing the PMBR of the GPT with a real new MBR and adding a disklabel

 - now the 4.0 kernel does not know about the GPT and everthying worked,
   but the 9.3 kernel understood the GPT and created the (no longer valid)
   wedges for it

*boom*

So I cleard the disk and repeated the procedure. After installing 4.0 and
adding the 9.3 kernel I could boot that kernel to multiuser. So no problem
with the file system or anything.

I then booted the 9.3 ISO and did an upgrade of the disk with the installer
and that also resulted in a perfectly working 9.3 installation (though
it still has the FFSv1 filesystem - suboptimal, but not a killer).

Martin